Georgia Tech

Menu
Close

Highlights of Tech History 1885-1939

GENERAL INFORMATION
HIGHLIGHTS OF TECH HISTORY

Table 2.3   Selected Events from Georgia Tech's History
Year Event
1885 On October 13, the Georgia Legislature passed a bill appropriating $65,000 to found a technical school.
1886 Atlanta was chosen as the location for the Georgia School of Technology.
1887 Developer Richard Peters donated four acres of land known as Peters Park to the new school.
1888 The Academic Building (in use today as the Administration Building) was completed. Georgia Tech opened for classes on October 8, with the School of Mechanical Engineering and departments of Chemistry, Mathematics, and English. By January 1889, 129 students had registered to work toward the only degree offered, the Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering.
 
1890 Tech graduated its first two students.
1892 Tech fields its first football team.
1896 The Schools of Civil Engineering and Electrical Engineering were established.
1899 The A. French Textile School was established.
 
1901 The School of Chemical Engineering was established. The Athletic Association was organized.
1903 John Heisman became the school's first full-time football coach.
1904 The Department of Modern Languages was established.
1906 The School of Chemistry was established. Andrew Carnegie donated $20,000 to build a library.
1907 The Carnegie Library opened.
1908 Tech's Night School opened. Fulton County granted an organizational charter to the Georgia Tech Alumni Association. The first edition of the annual, The Blue Print, appeared. The Department of Architecture was established.
 
1910 The first official band was formed.
1911 The Technique, the weekly student newspaper, began publication.
1912 The Cooperative Education Department was established to coordinate work-study programs.
1913 The School of Commerce, forerunner of the College of Management, was established.
1916 The Georgia Tech Student Association was established.
1917 The Department of Military Science was established. The Evening School of Commerce admitted its first woman student.
1918 Tech joined the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). Senior units of the Coast Artillery and Signal Corps of the Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) are established. The school and alumni launched the Greater Georgia Tech fund-raising campaign.
1919 The Legislature authorized the Engineering Experiment Station.
 
1920 The national Alumni Association convened its first meeting. George P. Burdell, Tech's long-lived mythical student, begins “attending” class.
1921 Tech became a charter member of the Southern Intercollegiate Conference.
1923 The Georgia Tech Alumnus magazine began publication. The Alumni Association began an alumni placement service. Tech was elected to the Southern Association of Colleges and Universities.
1924 The School of Ceramics was established. Tech received an FCC license to operate radio station WGST.
1925 Tech awarded its first Master of Science degrees.
1926 Tech established a Naval ROTC unit. The Department of Naval Science was established.
 
1930 The Daniel Guggenheim School of Aeronautics was established.
1931 The Georgia Legislature created the University System of Georgia.
1932 The Board of Regents of the University System assumed control of all state public schools, including Tech. The Georgia Tech Alumni Foundation held its first meeting.
1934 The Department of Management was established. The Engineering Experiment Station began engineering research projects.
1937 The Industrial Development Council (forerunner of the Georgia Tech Research Corporation) was created to be the contractual agency for the Engineering Experiment Station.
1939 The School of Physics was established.


Source: Communications and Marketing