Georgia Tech

Menu
Close

Highlights of Tech History 1942 – 1986

GENERAL INFORMATION
HIGHLIGHTS OF TECH HISTORY

Table 2.3   Selected Events from Georgia Tech’s History – Continued
Year Event
1942 The Department of Physical Education and Recreation was established.
1945 Tech became the first institution to provide low-cost married housing to GI Bill students. The School of Industrial and Systems Engineering was established.
1946 Tech adopted the quarter system.
1948 The Board of Regents authorized Tech to change its name to the Georgia Institute of Technology. Southern Technical Institute opened as a branch of Tech. The Department of Architecture became the School of Architecture; the Department of Management became the School of Industrial Management; the School of Social Sciences was established.
1949 The YMCA-sponsored, student-maintained World Student Fund was created to support a foreign student program.
1950 The Department of Air Science (now Air Force Aerospace Studies) was established. Tech awarded its first Doctor of Philosophy degree.
1952 The School of Mathematics was established. The Board of Regents voted to make Tech coeducational. The first two women students enrolled in the fall quarter.
1954 The Georgia Tech Alumni Foundation became the Georgia Tech Foundation.
1955 The Rich Electronic Computer Center began operation.
1956 Tech’s first two women graduates received their degrees.
1957 The Georgia Legislature granted Tech $2.5 million for a nuclear reactor.
1959 The School of Engineering Science and Mechanics and the School of Psychology were established.
1960 The School of Applied Biology was established.
1961 Tech is the first major state university in the deep South to desegregate without a court order. The new Southern Tech campus in Marietta was opened.
1962 The School of Nuclear Engineering was established.
1963 The School of Information and Computer Science was established. Tech was the first institution in the United States to offer the master’s degree in Information Science. The Water Resources Center was created. Renamed the Environmental Resources Center in 1970, it now functions as the Water Resources Research Institute of Georgia.
1964 Tech left the Southeastern Conference (SEC).
1965 Compulsory ROTC ended.
1969 The School of Industrial Management became the College of Management. The Bioengineering Center was established in conjunction with Emory University.
1970 Southern Tech was authorized to grant four-year degrees. The School of Geophysical Sciences was established.
1975 The name of the General College was changed to the College of Sciences and Liberal Studies (COSALS), and the School of Architecture became the College of Architecture. The Georgia Legislature designated the Engineering Experiment Station as the Georgia Productivity Center. Tech joined the Metro-6 athletic conference.
1977 The Center of Radiological Research was formed to coordinate research in health physics.
1978 Georgia Tech joined the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC). The Georgia Mining Resources Institute, linked to the U.S. Bureau of Mines, was formed. The Fracture and Fatigue Research Laboratory was established.
1979 The Computational Mechanics Center was established.
1980 Southern Tech became an independent four-year college of engineering technology. The Center for Rehabilitation Technology was formed. The Higher Education Management Institute study was established.
1981 The Advanced Technology Development Center, the Technology Policy and Assessment Center, and the Microelectronics Research Center were established.
1982 The Materials Handling Research Center, Center for Architecture Conservation, Center for Excellence in Rotary Wing Aircraft, and Communication Research Center were established.
1983 The Research Center for Biotechnology was established. The Long Range Plan was begun.
1984 The Engineering Experiment Station changed its name to the Georgia Tech Research Institute. Georgia Tech’s contract corporation changed its name from the Georgia Tech Research Institute to the Georgia Tech Research Corporation. The Graduate Cooperative Program was formed to include graduate students in Tech’s work-study program.
1985 The School of Ceramic Engineering incorporated the metallurgy program to form the School of Materials Engineering. The Georgia Legislature authorized $15 million to fund the Center for Excellence in Microelectronics. The Centennial Campaign began.
1986 The Center for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning and the College of Architecture’s Construction Research Center were established.
Source: Communications and Marketing